In 1953, Arlin and Beka Horton took 60 campers (ages 9–14) to rustic Mt. Calvary Camp, 26 miles north of Pensacola, where the campers enjoyed three days of recreation and Bible preaching. God blessed those old-fashioned camp meetings, and each summer more campers attended and new buildings were added to accommodate the growth.
When the artesian-fed swimming pool was no longer usable and Mt. Calvary Camp could not afford a new pool, they turned the property over to Pensacola Christian School. In the 1960s, the name changed to “Camp o’ the Pines;” the camp had a Western look, a new pool, additional buildings and improvements, and thirty adjacent acres.
By the 1990s, the camp needed extensive renovations. Plans were then drawn up for an all-new camp. Construction began in 1997 and finished in time for the 1998 camping season.
The new camp’s modern, comfortable facilities host a broad range of functions, including Pensacola Christian College activities, Campus Church outings, retreats, and various youth activities.
Camp o’ the Pines has been a spiritual turning point in many lives—some for salvation, some for Christian growth, and some for rededication to God. Only eternity will reveal the many decisions made and the lives changed at Camp o’ the Pines.
Countdown to Week 1
©2015 Youth Outreach Ministry. All rights reserved.